WHITE CHOCOLATE ALMOND MACAROONS
IngredientsServes 24 Macaroons
4 oz (125 g) white chocolate, broken into small pieces
2½ cups (625 ml) unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup (125 ml) slivered almonds, finely chopped
¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
¼ tsp (1 ml) sea salt
3 large egg whites
1 oz (30 g) white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan with simmering water. Stir until chocolate is almost melted. Remove bowl with chocolate from simmering water and stir until creamy. Set aside until cooled, but still loose.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, almonds, sugar and salt. Stir together to blend.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer just until foamy. Stir into coconut mixture until blended. Add cooled chocolate and stir until mixed.
- Using a large spoon, shape mixture into 1½ tbsp (22 ml) loosely shaped stacks about 1-in (2.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until macaroons are firm to touch but still a little soft in centres.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and grate remaining chocolate over top of macaroons. Cool on a rack. Store macaroons for up to 3 days in a tightly covered container at room temperature.