White Chocolate & Almond TortaThis menu is perfect for backyard entertaining or packing up to take on the go!
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
½ cup (125 ml) salted butter
¼ lb (113.5 g) best quality white chocolate, chopped
1 pinch salt
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated into 2 medium-sized bowls
⅓ cup (70 g) granulated sugar, plus extra if needed
¾ cup (175 ml) almond flour
¼ cup + 2 tbsp (90 ml) very finely ground toasted pistachios
1½ tbsp (22 ml) light rum, such as Bacardi Gold
1½ tbsp (22 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon zest
1 cup (250 ml) fresh raspberries, to serve
toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
icing sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter inside of a 6-in (15 cm) springform cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Place over low heat and stir mixture until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add salt to egg whites and, with a handheld mixer, beat at medium-high speed, until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Add sugar to yolks and, using same beaters, whip mixture at medium speed until light, pale and fluffy, about 1½ minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold melted chocolate mixture, almond flour, pistachios, rum, lemon juice and lemon zest into the yolks. In 2 batches, fold whipped egg whites into chocolate base.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed, golden brown and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. The cake will feel soft in centre. Cool completely.
- To serve, release sides of cake pan. Slide cake off metal base and carefully remove parchment paper. Pack cake into a portable container and top with fresh raspberries and almonds. Dust with icing sugar, if desired. Cover container and set into picnic basket.