WINNING CHOCOLATE ROSEMARY POPCORN
½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
5 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ cup (125 ml) popcorn kernels
½ cup (125 ml) chopped dark chocolate
1 tbsp (15 ml) sea salt flakes
- In a large frying pan, place olive oil and 5 sprigs rosemary. Set over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer rosemary to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat infused olive oil over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels, cover and gently shake pan every 30 seconds until you hear popping. Once popping is constant, gently shake pot back and forth continually over burner. When popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove pan from heat, remove lid and pour popcorn immediately over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Gently melt chocolate in a double boiler. Remove crispy rosemary leaves from stems and coarsely chop.
- Drizzle popcorn with warm melted chocolate; then sprinkle with chopped rosemary and sea salt. Set popcorn aside at room temperature allowing chocolate to harden, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, break up popcorn and transfer to a serving bowl. Popcorn may be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.