YOGURT TART WITH FRESH CITRUS SALAD
1¼ cups (310 ml) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 ml) slivered blanched almonds
¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar, divided
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) cold unsalted butter, cut into large chunks
1½ tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract, divided
6 tbsp + 1 tsp (90 + 5 ml) cold water, divided
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom pods, crushed
½ cup (125 ml) orange juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) powdered gelatin
¼ cup (60 ml) light coloured honey, such as wildflower
1½ cups (375 ml) natural Greek yogurt
2 to 3 medium oranges
- To make crust: in a food processor, blend flour, almonds, ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar and salt until nuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pulse in ½ tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract and 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20 ml) water to form moist clumps. Press evenly into a 9-in (23 cm) tart pan with a removable base. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- While crust is freezing, preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Bake crust until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Press any puffed up sections back into tin. Set aside to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While crust is cooling prepare spiced syrup. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together remaining ½ cup (125 ml) sugar, 5 tbsp (75 ml) water, star anise, cinnamon stick and crushed cardamom pods. Simmer until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat and cool completely at room temperature.
- Once crust is cooled, prepare filling. In a small saucepan, stir together orange juice and gelatin. Set aside for 5 minutes. Place gelatin mixture over medium heat and stir in honey. Once gelatin is completely dissolved transfer to a bowl and whisk in yogurt and remaining 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract. Pour filling into completely cooled crust and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- With a knife, cut away peel and pith from oranges before cutting into slices. Just before serving, arrange orange slices over set yogurt filling and brush with spiced syrup.