Zucchini Fritters with Lemon & Herb Raita
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
2 lbs (907 g) small, firm zucchinis, cut into ¼-in (0.5 cm) rounds
1 cup (250 ml) rice flour
1 cup (250 ml) chickpea flour
¼ tsp (1 ml) baking soda
1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt
1 tsp (5 ml) coarsely ground black pepper
1½ tsp (7 ml) ground turmeric
1½ tsp (7 ml) amchoor (optional)*
1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne pepper
2 cups (500 ml) beer, preferably 33 Acres of Sunshine Blanche
⅓ cup (75 ml) very finely chopped cilantro leaves
1½ to 2 cups (375 to 500 ml) canola oil, for frying
Lemon & Herb Raita:
1½ cups (375 ml) full-fat yogurt
¼ cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, finely grated
¼ cup (60 ml) very finely chopped cilantro leaves
¼ cup (60 ml) very finely chopped mint leaves
2 tbsp (30 ml) very finely minced dill
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 pinch ground turmeric
fresh curry leaves, for garnish (optional)
Italian parsley, leaves and tender stems, for garnish
- Line a baking sheet with paper towel and lay out zucchini rounds in a single layer. Cover with more paper towel and press down gently to blot away excess moisture. Leave zucchini on paper towel while preparing batter and Lemon & Herb Raita.
- To make fritter batter, in a large bowl, whisk together rice flour, chickpea flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, turmeric, amchoor (if using) and cayenne. Slowly add beer and cilantro, whisking gently until smooth. Set aside.
- To make Lemon & Herb Raita, in a medium bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, mint and dill. Season to taste with salt, pepper and turmeric, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Line another baking sheet with paper towel. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add enough oil to reach a depth of ½-in (1.25 cm). Heat oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 370 F (188 C), or until a dollop of batter dropped into oil floats and sizzles immediately. Working in batches so as not to crowd pan, dip zucchini in batter to coat both sides. Fry zucchini in hot oil, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Remove to lined baking sheet to drain. Repeat with remaining zucchini, adding more oil to pan as needed. Dip fresh curry leaves (if using) and parsley in batter to coat and fry until golden, about 20 seconds. Remove to lined baking sheet to drain.
- To serve, place Raita on a serving dish and surround with fritters. Garnish with curry leaves, if using, and parsley. Serve immediately.
- *Dried mango powder. Available at larger grocery stores or specialty markets.