ZUCCHINI RIBBON AND KALE CAESAR SALAD WITH CHIMICHURRI CHICKEN
1 large zucchini
1 large bunch (8 to 12 stalks) of Lacinato or Dino Kale
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
½ lemon, juice only
salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken breasts, skin on (optional)
¼ cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan
2 cups (500 ml) chopped parsley
2 cups (500 ml) chopped cilantro
3 garlic cloves
½ tbsp (7 ml) red pepper chili flakes
¼ cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
½ lemon, juice only
2 large or 4 small green onions (stems included)
½ cup (125 ml) neutral oil (e.g. grapeseed, avocado, vegetable oil)
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
3 small garlic cloves
1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
⅓ cup (75 ml) olive oil
¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) capers
- With a vegetable spiralizer, spiral cut zucchini using the flat blade to produce wide pappardelle-shaped vegetable noodles.
- Remove stalks from kale, thinly slice horizontally to create thin ribbons of kale. Add kale and zucchini noodles to a bowl and coat with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Let rest for 10 minutes while making Chimichurri Sauce, recipe follows.
- Marinate chicken breasts in half the Chimichurri Sauce and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat barbecue or grill to mediumhigh, sear chicken on either side for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness. Once chicken feels firm but not hard, remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and bake for about 20 minutes. Once chicken is cooked and rested, cut into ¼-in (0.5 cm) slices.
- Toss kale and zucchini in Caesar Dressing to taste, add Parmesan and serve alongside sliced chicken and top with remaining Chimichurri Sauce.
- To make CHIMICHURRI SAUCE: In a food processor, pulse all ingredients, except for oil until finely chopped. Add oil and pulse 2 more times, careful not to emulsify oil and vinegar. Set aside until ready to use. Can store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 cup (250 ml).
- To make CAESAR DRESSING: In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth. Makes ½ cup (125 ml).