TIRAMISU CRÊPE CAKE
12 large eggs
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
2 cups (500 ml) whole milk
1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
unsalted butter, for frying
26 oz (750 g) mascarpone cheese, room tempreature
8 oz (250 g) cream cheese, room temperature
1¼ cups (310 ml) icing sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) instant espresso powder
2 tbsp (30 ml) amaretto liqueur
cocoa powder, for dusting and garnish
- In a food processor, mix eggs, flour, salt, whole milk, cream and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a jug and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat a small knob of butter in a 7-in (18 cm) non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. When lightly bubbling, pour in enough batter to coat pan, tilt until even, then cook for about 1 minute. Crêpe is ready to flip when bubbles appear on surface and edges look dry. Flip with a spatula and cook for one more minute. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel. Repeat with remaining batter, ending up with about 18 crêpes.
- While crêpes cool, in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together mascarpone and cream cheese until smooth. Add icing sugar, espresso powder and amaretto liqueur. Whisk until well combined and thick and creamy. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To assemble cake, place first crêpe on a serving plate and spread about 1 to 1½ tbsp (15 ml to 22 ml) of cream mixture into a thin layer. Dust lightly with cocoa powder and place a second crêpe on top. Repeat, layering crêpes, cream and cocoa until crêpes have been used up.
- Transfer remaining cream into a piping bag with a round tip and pipe little dollops on top of cake. Refrigerate cake again for about 30 minutes. Dust with cocoa powder and serve