Trout Niçoise Salad
½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt, plus extra to taste
½ small beet, raw, sliced
2 tbsp (30 ml) white vinegar
10 small new potatoes, washed, unpeeled
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 x 4 oz (125 g) trout fillets
black pepper, to taste
1 head butter lettuce
1 cup (250 ml) halved cherry tomatoes
¼ cup (60 ml) pitted Kalamata olives
½ lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
Dill Dressing, ingredients follow below
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) grainy mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) diced dill pickles or cornichons
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped capers
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped dill
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) water, plus extra as needed (optional)
- In a large pot over high heat, bring 8 cups (2 L) water to a boil. Add ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt. Gently add eggs and boil for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath with just enough water to cover eggs and add beet slices and vinegar. Remove eggs from boiling water (reserve water for step 3) and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Then peel under cold running water and place in beet and vinegar ice bath for at least 1 hour. For extra vibrant colour, transfer to refrigerator and allow to sit in bath overnight.
- In same boiling water, cook potatoes until fork-tender, about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on size. Remove potatoes (again reserving water for step 4) and run under cold water to stop cooking.
- Prepare another ice bath. In same boiling water, blanch asparagus for 2 to 5 minutes or until al dente, then drain and place in ice bath.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large cast iron or ovenproof pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season trout with salt and pepper and place in pan, flesh-side down. Sear for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Flip trout and transfer pan to oven for 6 to 8 minutes, or until trout is just opaque (timing will vary depending on thickness of fish).
- To assemble, remove eggs from ice bath and cut in half lengthwise. Drain asparagus and pat dry. Tear lettuce leaves and lay on a serving platter. Layer potatoes, asparagus, tomatoes, eggs and olives over lettuce. Place trout on top and drizzle with Dill Dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
- For Dill dressing, In a medium bowl, combine garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, pickles, capers and dill. Season with salt and pepper. If needed, to thin out dressing, add water, 1 tsp (5 ml) at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Makes about ½ cup (125 ml)